Tuesday 23 July 2013

perspective boost

A little while ago I blogged that I was trying to improve my grasp of perspective in drawing.  Since then I have been working at it a fair bit and I can feel it starting to sink in.  I had never realised in the past how useful it could be to to make you believe that everything in an image is in the same physical space.  I have been trying to practise in my free time on journeys and such like.   I can seldom draw with a steady line as the bus or train will be jiggling away like a good 'un.  The joy of it is that doesn't seem to matter.  I think these pictures, whether composed solely of figures or figures in a landscape, feel like they are happening somewhere.  That is a really exciting development for me because for the longest time I have wanted to be able to make stories full of all kinds of places... I just had no clue how to draw them.












2 comments:

  1. It's really interesting how you're using it even on figures in white space!

    I remember a tutor of mine gamely trying to teach us perspective at college. He was met with a lot of resistance, mainly on the grounds that we knew it already (we didn't), that we wouldn't use it (we obviously would if we could), and then a lot of concentration on the most faulty bit of traditional perspective (summat about curvature and the lens of the eye). The last one might've been mostly me, though I only had the faintest idea what I was talking about, then as now…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was the figures that surprised me the most. I have been drawing them for so long I never thought that it would have such a big effect on them. But it has changed the way I think about them quite a lot... I need to read more of that book!

      Delete