Monday 3 June 2013

grease is the word

From time to time I paint my drawing paper with oil.  It is a very sympathetic surface to draw onto and there is much fun to be had with the translucent quality it gives.

It does change a great deal over time though... here's what  a piece of oil soaked paper looks like after nine years:



  It's not translucent at all any more but there's some real nice texture to make up for it.  Maybe I could make drawings like whiskey - lock them up for a decade before showing them to anyone...
 

7 comments:

  1. Yes, good idea! That's what Bill Henson could have done with his controversial photographic exhibition in 2008 to overcome objections... We thought anyway... But maybe he liked the objections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it would have been wiser to let those girls grow up ten more years instead!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting...are we talking cooking oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was sunflower oil. Linseed oil goes even darker... All the pictures in While You Are Sleeping are done that way. Actually, I haven't looked at that artwork for a while. I guess it looks pretty different now...

      Delete
  3. Nice. I'm drawing characters with similar Key-stoney costumes at the moment, given I have to make them definitely Coppers, but not not definitely UK centric. Blimmin' global market. It's quite fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. There was a big fuss with Beegu about the phone box being too UK-centric... now all the phone boxes have pretty much gone anyway. I like the idea that picturebooks all take place in this weird non-country somewhere.

      Delete